Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.Arthur Ashe
“Start where you are” doesn’t have to be about process! Try this exercise:
- Disregarding organisational boundaries, and in relation to the work you are already committed to (your “organising commitments”), who do you interact with? Then reflexively: who interacts with you regarding their organising commitments? And transitively: who do they interact with, who interacts with them, and so on outwards?
- Again disregarding organisational boundaries, and whether as an act of planning or of response to something unexpected, who do you consult with when your organising commitments need to change? And again reflexively and transitively: Who consults with you, who do they consult with, and so on outwards?
- Now reflect on the relationships you have identified in those two networks. Whose relationships don’t you understand as well as you might? To the extent that it affects your own work, what context do you lack that others might be able to provide? Who else might be struggling for lack of context that you or someone closer to you might be able to provide? Is it time then for some trust-building conversations?
Now you know where you are, start!
- Your organisation in 5 networks (November)
- Leaders as keepers of context (September)
While we’re here, a couple of updates to upcoming events (see below):
- The next TTT/F begins in just over a week on Wednesday 15th – ping me for a coupon code if you need one
- I’ve added the April edition of our monthly free webinar/AMA series
Agendashift™: Serving the transforming organisation
Links: Home | Subscribe | Events | Media | Contact | Mike
Agendashift Academy: Leading with Outcomes | Facilitator and Trainer Programmes
We help leaders and engaged team members at every level to gain fluency in the language of outcomes – developing and pursuing strategies together, innovating, learning, and adapting as the organisation renews and transforms itself from the inside.
With me (Mike Burrows) unless otherwise indicated
- 04 April, online, 15:00BST, 16:00CEST, 10am EDT:
Free webinar/AMA: How do we keep bringing outcomes to the foreground?
- 16-24 May, Online, Tuesday & Wednesday mornings (UK time):
Leading with Outcomes: Train-the-Trainer/Facilitator (TTT/F)
- 6-8 June, 6-8 June, online (Zoom), 14:00-16:30 BST:
Leading with Outcomes: Foundation
- 20-22 June*, London, UK:
Leading with Outcomes: Foundation and Adaptive Organisation (I) & (II)
- 20 June*, London, UK:
Leading with Outcomes: Foundation (London)
- 21 June*, London, UK:
Adaptive Organisation (I): Business agility at every scale (London)
- 22 June*, London, UK:
Adaptive Organisation (II): Between spaces, scopes, and scales (London)
*For the June events indicated with an asterisk, see Three days in sunny June, London – and note the recent date change!